A Brief History

Nottinghamshire County Ladies Golf Association was formed at a meeting held on December 5th 1908.  The main reason for this formation was to produce a County Team.  By 1913 the County consisted of 9 Clubs,  Notts Ladies, Bulwell Forest, Newark, Radcliffe, Stanton, Bulwell Hall, Rushcliffe Sherwood Forest, and Chilwell.  By 1959 the number had risen to 15, by 1994 to 24 and  at the present time there are 31 Affiliated Clubs.

Since the formation of the County we have had 16 Presidents and 7 Secretaries!  The longest serving Presidents were Mrs John Player and the Duchess of Portland who both served consecutively for 21 years. (This position is now held for a maximum of 3 years). The longest serving Secretary/Treasurer was Miss J A Bright from 1912-1950, followed by Mrs J H Payne from 1951-1986.

The County presently run the County Championship and 3 further competitions during the summer.  We also have Inter-Club matches and Inter League matches, and up until 2007 County Matches against Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire and Leicestershire.  In 2008 with the formation of EWGA, our region changed to become the Midlands North consisting of Notts, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire. Our County Week changed to 5 days of competition with the winners going forward to the County Finals

Honorary Members of the NCLGA

Year Honorary Members
1972 The Duchess of Portland
1972 Mrs J H Payne
1972 Mrs C H V Elliott
1978 Mrs B B Brewer
1986 Mrs E A Anderson
1990 Mrs E Shanks & Mrs B Jackson
1994 Mrs M Pretty
1997 Mrs W Nicholl
2001 Mrs B Patrick
2005 Mrs C Nelson
2006 Mrs D White
2008 Mrs M Clarke
2010 Mrs B Johnson
2013 Mrs A G Morley & Mrs J Underwood